Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's officially hair-pulling time

I woke up this morning to find out that the company I am illustrating for is taxing me a figure of 28%. After chain smoking 4 cigarettes on the front porch, (for those of you who know me, I don't smoke) I called them (in Chicago) and asked, in much nicer terms; wtf? Apparently that is how much they tax in America. With us complaining about our taxes every year, I hardly think we have a leg to stand on; our measly 12% and covered health care! But it was something I hadn't anticipated. I send off an invoice, tax free and claim everything at the end of the year. Now I'm looking at an almost $800 deduction from the price I had set up. Another blow, from the countless items I had not counted on paying to go on this trip. Yes, I cried a little.

I gave Suzanne a panicked call. In the midst of smoke #3, trying to keep it together (I'm leaving in 2 days and they haven't even sent the check-minus the astronomical tax deduction) she talked me down; no one she's ever heard of going to YWAM has ever not been able to pay out the whole thing, many people go without the entire amount, this is God's money-it will all come in. *Hyperventalating, I finished my cigarette, took a couple deep breathes and realized she's right. I just hate going there that short and worrying about money when I want all my focus to be on my studies.

I know I'm getting more worked up then I should be, but after my crazy last day of work (where one of my girls tried to jump out of the car while it was moving at 80km and almost killed us both, then tried to go AWAL and lock us out of the house) I'm just a bag of nerves. I bought a pack of smokes for the first time since I was 18, and I detest smoking. I'm over schedule on finishing my contract to illustrate the 7 books I was hired to do a month ago, and now I'm a couple grand short for my $7000 trip. And I'm supposed to be on a bus to Connecticut Sunday morning. Panic? Check.

Breathe.

All I can hope is they will accept my request to not tax the amount and direct deposit my payment because there are no CIBC's in the US and I cannot cash checks there. Why can't I just get on the plane hastle free like they do in the movies? Holywood is a sham!

1 comment:

Adventures of Deesa said...

Amy, its not bad, and I know this may seem crass, but you do need to stop worrying. It doesn't help. God tells us not to worry... right love?
Besides, I went to my DTS with oh around $500 in my pocket, (plus I had a car payment to pay the whole time) and look at me, I got to go. But I can't take any credit for that one, that was Him! So stop worrying, ask Him for help, and keep working at it! Its all going to be alright!