Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Settled, maybe.




What an event. I have to say, the bus ride to Connecticut was more to be desired. Firstly, once arrived in Kenora our air conditioning failed and a rescue bus was sent. An hour and a half behind schedule, we pulled out of Kenora on a new bus. This was transfer number one. We then transferred again in Thunder Bay and yet again in Toronto. On the second day we drove into the Buffalo boarder crossing.

Let me say, I have never been treated so poorly in my life by a complete stranger. I filed into a room under construction. Along one side were cubicles of about 5 computers with officers behind them, and to the left a long metal table with another 2 officers with gloves, searching baggage. I get up to the counter and hand over my ID; passport, drivers license, yada yada. What's your business in the states? Volunteering with a Missionary organization. The guy looked at me oddly. Asked what the organization was called. YWAM. I handed over the letter they sent me to show boarder patrol. Question after question followed;
"So how are you supporting yourself while in the country?"
"With my own money and money donated to me."
"Who donated to you?"
"Friends."
"What kind of religion is this?"
"Christian."
"What will you be doing?"
"Working in soup kitchens, helping the poor."
"So you'll be working?"
"No, I'm not getting paid, I'm volunteering."
"That doesn't matter, you're still working. Who's paying your room and board?"
"I am."
"Where's your bank statements confirming this?"
"I didn't bring any, I called boarder patrol 3 weeks ago and they said to bring this letter."
"This looks like you printed it off your computer."
It followed like this for 45 minutes. I had to take my luggage off the bus. They went through everything; my underwear, my journal, my sketchbooks.
"So you're an artist."
"Yes."
"Do you make money at this?"
"Sometimes..."
"How do we know you're not going to the states to work, to sell your art?" I thought of saying, "Mister, if I actually made a living off it in Canada, that might be something to consider!"
Then he flat out told me I didn't qualify and was sending me back to Canada. I pleaded with him, he grabbed his Supervisor. Again, questions followed. I gave him the number for the base, no one picked up. He looked at the web site, asked if it was a cult. Saw that the course is called a DTS (Discipleship Training School). "So it's a school..where's your visa?"
"It's not that kind of school, it's not credited, I'm not receiving a degree."
"Doesn't matter, you need a visa, how are you paying for this?"
"With my own money!"
"What's your parent's number, can we call them and ask, do they know what you're doing?"
"I wouldn't suggest it, we're not seeing eye to eye right now."
"What happens if you get sick?"
"I bought travel insurance!" After searching through every nook and cranny, reading my journals and goodbye cards, scanning through my bible, checking for drugs in my tampon box, he looked at me and said; "You're extremely high risk, you know."
Needless to say, I started crying. After 45 minutes they finally settled on letting me over the boarder-for a month. I am to return in person with bank statements, brochures, detailed outlines of my day to day activities or a warrant will be put out for my arrest and I will be deported. Deported!
Freaked out and red in the face, I got back on the bus and chained smoked 3 cigarettes at the Buffalo bus station. I emailed the YWAM base in Connecticut to give them a heads up and talked to a friend on FB who helped calm me down.

The next morning, after sleeping hardly at all (the seat next to me was occupied by a small child who either curled up in my lap and I was afraid to move, or full out flopped all over me the whole night and then I transferred buses yet again in NYC) I got picked up from one of the Axiom staff. They brought me to a gorgeous house in what's considered the "gheto" side of town. It's nothing short of beautiful and reminds me a lot of Wolseley. The house itself is huge; cherry wood floors, original trim, antique furniture, a huge back yard with a fire pit and a great bunch of folks to greet me. All were shocked at my treatment at the boarder and assured me they would figure something out. At the very least, there was a road trip to be had.

I went to an amazing deli 3 minutes from the house for lunch. Then went volunteering at a soup kitchen for a while in the afternoon. Joined a couple folks for my first Target experience (it's almost exactly like Walmart except red.) Overall, great first day here, hopefully I can stay!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I guess I should have coached you better for the border crossing. You made some of the cardinal mistakes (namely, NEVER trust what they tell you over the phone). No worries, pretty common. It will easily get fixed.

Glad you made it ok! I know you will have an amazing time.

Peace,
Jamie
www.missional.caw

hana said...

man... do we ever have things in common...lol
I can see that we are two quite different artists though- which makes it a lot more fun.

I am happy to see more artists around here in Axiom... can't wait till we take the advantage of it- and do some crazy stuff!

Lindsey Margaret said...

Hey Amy!
So sorry to hear about the border trouble, but glad you got through ok! I'm excited to read your updates (at least until our DTS starts, at which point I won't have too much free time).
Oh, and you'll be happy to know Amy K. was thrilled to take your bulletin board thingy home.
Love,
Lindsey

Adventures of Deesa said...

Oh Amy! Your border crossing sounded so stressful! It WILL get all worked out! Poor girl! I would have cried from the moment they started being so suspicious! Then they probably would have been even more so! Way to go though! Strong girl! I'm excited to hear all about your adventures!